2019 ACDS Teaching and Learning Fellowship
The ACDS has established an ACDS Teaching and Learning Fellowship program with the inaugural Fellow to be appointed in 2019. This exciting program will fund a teaching and learning leader in science or mathematics to design, lead and deliver a national project to advance learning and teaching in Faculties of Science.
Theme: Better learning and teaching through systemic quality improvement
- ACDS Fellowship Guidelines
- ACDS Fellowship Nomination instructions
- ACDS Fellowship Application pro-forma Part A, C, D, E, F, G, H
- ACDS Fellowship Application pro-forma Part B
- Fellowship scheme launched: 26 September 2018
- Call for applications: 8 October 2018
- Applications close: 29 January 2019
- Selection: February 2019
- Fellowship: Jun 2019 – July 2020 (to be negotiated with successful applicant)
- Final report: July 2020 (aligned to ACDS Teaching and Learning Leadership Conference
Aims of the Fellowship Program
The aim of the ACDS Teaching Fellowship program is to advance learning and teaching in science and mathematics by fostering further development of learning leaders through strategic projects that address priority issues identified by the ACDS. The ACDS Teaching Fellows will work with Science Faculties, or equivalent, to expand good practice and increase capability.
The ACDS Teaching Fellowship program will:
- identify and interrogate key educational issues for science and mathematics in higher education
- design and deliver a program of activities achieves significant improvement in learning outcomes for science and mathematics graduates that can be sustained over time
- foster systematic application of good practice learning and teaching in science and mathematics
- foster the development of Science Faculties, or equivalent, as champions of good practice in learning and teaching
- link learning and teaching in science and mathematics to good practice in aligned and other academic disciplines
- establish and build on national and international networks and partnerships to promote best practice in learning and teaching
ACDS Teaching Fellows are emerging national leaders in learning and teaching who have the capacity to make a significant contribution to national educational leadership for science and mathematics. They are normally mid-career academics engaged in scholarly teaching practice with their contribution to learning and teaching in science and mathematics recognised by their home institution, or disciplinary or professional associations. ACDS Teaching Fellows will have demonstrated expertise and scholarship in a field of relevance to the proposed fellowship activities.
ACDS Teaching Fellows undertake a 3 to 12 month program of activities addressing priority issues in learning and teaching in science and/or mathematics that have been identified by the ACDS (see Appendix A). In addition, ACDS Teaching Fellows contribute to the activities of the ACDS Teaching and Learning Centre through contributions to the ACDS TL Centre website and other communications and/or the management and delivery of ACDS Teaching and Learning Events including the ACDS Teaching and Learning Leadership Conference and the Australian Conference for Science and Mathematics Education (ACSME).
ACDS Teaching Fellowships are designed to draw upon the particular expertise of Fellows to address priority issues identified by the ACDS. The application and specific activities of the Fellowship will be designed to leverage the teaching, disciplinary and leadership experience of the Fellow to ensure successful outcomes. Over time, ACDS Teaching Fellows are expected to contribute generally to the advancement of learning and teaching in Australian higher education.
Maximum total funding available for each ACDS Teaching Fellowship is $100,000 allocated to:
- stipend (including on-costs)
- fellowship activities
- support for an evaluator/critical friend
- attendance and contribution to ACDS Teaching and Learning events